Healthy Eating: The skinny on fats
Good information about fats. I have read recently all about Coconut Oil and how great it is for you. I’m waiting on my order to come in to try it and I will definitely let you know!
Of the three macronutrients (carbohydrates, fats and proteins) fats are generally cast as the villain of the group – often attributed with weight gain and an endless list of health problems. We know protein builds, maintains and repairs our cells and that carbs give us energy. However, most people remain in the dark about the many vital functions fat plays in our bodies. Instead it is often viewed as the macronutrient to avoid at all costs – with low fat diets and foods popping up everywhere in recent years.
A common misconception is that fat makes you fat! While it can contribute to weight gain, obesity is much more complicated than just eating too much of a single nutrient. It is true that a fat has 9 calories per gram (almost double the 4 calories per gram in protein and carbohydrates); however eating excess calories, from any source, can cause weight gain.
So now that we covered that common misconception, let’s move on to the next – that a fat is a fat. Again not exactly true. Not all fats are created equal. Some are good, some are bad and some are just plain wrong. So here is a rundown on the different types of fats and where to find them.
- Stand Up to Cancer: 2015 Crush Cancer Event
- Running: A Skill That Can Alleviate Stress
- Getting Back On The Horse
- Resources to Start your Paleo Journey
- Kids and Health: The Decline of Good Nutrition and Fitness Programs in Schools
- Changes in the Food Pyramid
- Your work is making you fat
- Going Gluten Free
- Sugar- the most demonized additive known to man
- Challenging Conventional Wisdom: Gary Taubes