Running: A Skill That Can Alleviate Stress
Lots of people are getting out there and running now that Summer is here. 19 Ways To Shave Down Your Race Time includes some good ideas and advice on improving your pace , including this infographic about foam rolling – which I am huge fan of! Hope you find some useful tid bits — I like that strength training and core work are both mentioned as ways to improve.
I’m not a huge fan of running. It’s very difficult for me – my asthma gives me a hard time and I struggle. But, running, like a lot of other exercises, can really help reduce stress. Which is timely, because NPR recently did a piece on stress and how it’s seriously affecting our health and family.
According to the NPR article:
- 1 in every 4 Americans say they had a great deal of stress in the previous month.
- And half of all adults say they experienced a major stressful event in the past year. That works out to more than 115 million people.
Stress is a real health issue – emotional and physical and our lives are getting more and more stressful. People don’t take the time, or feel that they don’t have the time, to focus on activities that help alleviate it, like exercise. But it really does help and has science to prove it…
According to this HuffPo piece: How Does Exercise Reduce Stress?
“Exercise promotes production of neurohormones like norepinephrine that are associated with improved cognitive function, elevated mood and learning. And that can improve thinking dulled by stressful events — some research even shows how exercise can make you smarter.”
- Health: Health most common major stressful event in Americans’ lives last year, poll finds
- Health Let’s Move! How Body Movements Drive Learning Through Technology
- Health How Finland Keeps Kids Focused Through Free Play
- Life Lessons THESE 26 COUPLES JUST GET IT. WE SHOULD ALL BE SO LUCKY TO HAVE RELATIONSHIPS LIKE THESE
- Health This is Our Youth
- Stand Up to Cancer: 2015 Crush Cancer Event
- Women’s Running Magazine: National Running Day 2014
- Labor Day Running
- Sugar- the most demonized additive known to man
- Obesity is a huge threat
- It’s a Wrap! Scope It Out – Colon Cancer 5K
- Must Read: Gluten: What You Don’t Know Might Kill You
- Half of colon cancer deaths can be prevented
- Drinking Coffee May Lower Women’s Risk of Stroke
- Using BAI instead of BMI to measure fat